3/16/10

On a More Serious Note.

I was thinking this morning.. don't act so suprised.. and felt the need to blog about something important, therefore here are two quotes for your consideration:

"I would never rob your cradles to feed the dogs of war" Huey P Long

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry (1736-1739)

Is war justified? Are we okay with giving up our sons and daughters to feed violent chaos that is war? My brother is in the marines and any mention of war pulls at my heartstrings. Could I be comfortable with a war knowing that my big brother is the one out there fighting it? That he is the one in the line of fire? It is always easier to agree to a war when it is fought by people you don't know. Sadly, those people mean nothing to most. But that in itself is awful. Every human life should matter to you. But then as Patrick Henry says, we have to preserve liberty. Freedom is not free. Brave people lay down their lives for a cause that they believe in. But is that how we should handle things in this world? I don't know. I'm torn. I wish everyone succumbed to reason. I wish Winston Churchill could have sat down with Adolf Hitler and told him that what he was doing was absolutely atrocious and monstrous, and Hitler would have listened. I mean Hitler was using the Jews as a scapegoat, and instilling fear to gain power, so if he had realized that power was less important than preserving human life and dignity, perhaps he would have stopped. I don't know. I could go on for days about how I am undecided in life's many questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...